2009/01/01

The Profile of My Advisor

Since having been a junior at college, I was lucky to have had a great and awesome advisor, Tsai-Yen Li, for directing my academic research project until getting my master degree. My advisor received his M.S. in computer science and Ph.D. in mechanical engineering from Stanford University. After earning his doctorate, he worked at a well-known technology company in America for a while and moved from industry to academia in order to contribute his best knowledge to students in Taiwan. He has a lot of research publications including robotics, computer animation, artificial intelligence, virtual reality, and other fantastic research issues.

      His dazzling academic background, cool research topics, lovely personality, and good teaching make him the most popular advisor in our department. In my heart, he is the most rational, objective, humble, intelligent, and diligent person I have ever met. Two years ago, he was a director of computer center then and proceeded three or four big projects simultaneously, including National Science Council projects and school-to-work programs. Even though he was really busy all the time, he still tried to make time, as much as he could do, to meet with each of twenty students, including juniors, seniors, and graduate students, once per week. Besides, he always picked up his children from school on time for having dinner together with his wife every day. After leaving the position of director of the computer center, he has taken over the chair of our department. I guess that not only because he is a genius but also because he tries to plan anything well and make good use of every inch of time; otherwise, he could not always be able to get many things done.

      What is more, he is also a very supportive academic advisor. Although so insightful, he never tells students what is right and what is wrong or forces students to do something good. Setting himself as an example for the students is the way he teaches, and I like this style very much. By the way, I have never heard any student who could irritate him or comment on him negatively, because he never makes a subjective judgment or blame on a student. Even though he is a perfect man, he never takes pride in himself but in his students. Someone says an advisor plays sort of a quasi-parental role of a graduate student, I think that is really true and I feel happy to have such a nice advisor.


P.S.
My English teacher suggeted me send my advisor this article as a gift, but I guess doing my best on my research will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment